Tuesday 12 February 2013

February 14th

This time last year I was asked by a number of people as to why I had not written a Blog post about Valentine’s Day. They expected something cynical or at least an opinion from me as most of my posts are about men (lack of)…. The reason why I didn’t and don’t really feel the need to, is because the day has never bothered me, in or out of a relationship.

I know girls and guys who truly worry and get depressed over the February 14th and I can safely say I am not phased by it at all. Surely, if you’re single, you should feel lonely and depressed everyday? Why should one day society/Hallmark have deemed ‘romantic’ make a difference? Birthdays, NYE and randomly wanting to talk to someone at stupid O’clock, makes me miss having someone, not a random day in February. When women are in a relationship they love the day, when they are single, they hate the day. Make your bloody mind up no wonder we're known for being crazy!

If you’re in a relationship, surely, you should feel special everyday? I wouldn’t want just one day of the whole year that reminds my boyfriend that I need to be loved or be romantic with… I think the random flowers for no reason whatsoever is true romance. Wining and dining should be a fairly frequent occurrence (money allowing) not just a cliché day that EVERY other couple is celebrating. That for me is not romantic. I am not just saying this because I am single, I’ve said this for a long time even to past boyfriends. 

I know some guys that call up a random just so they’re not lonely that night… Why? I know girls that go out and get drunk. An excuse to make a night of it and possibly find someone. Again why? It just makes no sense to me as to why people make a fuss over this day. Waste of money and stress in my opinion. 

I have to say it is awkward when you’ve just started seeing someone. There are so many dating politics! Do you wish them a ‘Happy Valentine’s day’? Do you ask them what they’re doing with the fear of looking like a psychopath? Do you have to spend lots of money on a gift etc?  The fear of romance without looking like a freak. The fear of looking ‘desperate’, ‘keen’, ‘cute’… (Sorry but what guy likes being described as ‘cute’? I don’t even like being called cute, I’m not a bloody baby!) Then there are those girls who think that when he has not made any effort, then he does not like me, which is not always true… It's all a bit confuzzling!

Basically, if you’re in a relationship… Have a great evening but I hope your partner treats you just as special everyday. If you’re single, just continue with what you're doing and have a great evening also. It’s funny because a few of my friends in relationships aren’t bothered by the day and I’m referring to the girls as well! It’s also funny that my single guy friends are bothered by it?! This is what society does to you... Who is St Valentine anyway? What is cupid?

Me? Valentine's? Well, I’ll just be doing the same old thing I always do. I don’t need one day of an entire year to feel single and lonely. It is the norm.

Happy Humping xox

No comments:

Post a Comment