Sunday 18 December 2011

Something kind of wonderful. [30.11.11]

Let us begin with our interpretations and impressions on definitions. By 'wonderful' I do no necessarily mean it in the positive way it normally entails. Can something not be amazing, grand, 'out-of-this-world'; wonderful, whilst being strange, contain negative connotations and something I do not have to completely agree with? Yes, it can, it might not be a universal wonderful experience but for its sheer existence in this universe, this makes it wonderful.

The reason I began with this topic is beause today I wanted to return my overdue library books (I've been taking books out of Hackney, Islington and Hillingdon libraries for over twenty years now and not once have I had a fine) but my local library was closed due to the teacher's strike and was surrounded by policemen. After asking one officer if all the libraries were like this and he replied that it was just this one. I took the bus to another library. This too was closed.

For fear of being late to work, I struggled with my bag, not at all practical for my four books; a huge cooking book, a large print copy of Eat. Pray. Love., Maeve Binchy's writer's book and a travel guide to Florence, (not to mention December's issue of Vogue and other contents of a lady's bag only kept to herself) and continued with my day. My anger increasing as my fine inevitably would.

My frustration only lasts about two seconds as I am in a confused, deja vu like state, whilst outside the Hackney Town Hall, again police and people striking. It reminds me of a few months ago when the empty streets were filled with the silent fears and looters during the rioting. Exactly the same spot but brought by different intentions, beliefs and methods. I am not going to give my opinion on either of these events as that is another story entirely...

But it is amazing to see the differences in people's behavious and reactions to these separate events. When in reality, on some level anyway, they are interconnected with themes such as teachings, money and power. In short it is something kind of wonderful.

Who knows, in years to come, what other demonstrations will take place in the exact same spot of the Hackney Town Hall, but I'm sure even if there are differences in people, our method of action, the underlying thread which strings us all together; will remain. This realisation is wonderful.

However, the weight of my books and increasing fine, is definitely not wonderful: in any sense of the word.

1 comment:

  1. The interesting theme here is not the apparent motivation of you not wanting a library fine, but you highlighting the core issue of people eventually being tied down together on public issues.

    Elegant yet so sure that the weight of your books is the least of your problems, but the beauty of it being the center of it is funny.

    Enjoyable read with my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete