Monday 2 January 2012

The Art of Compromise.

Last Friday an older couple dressed quite classy and ready for evening drinks or the theatre (blatant stereotyping here) were seated opposite me on the tube. They were a married couple and the female was rattling on about something frivolous and the male was kindly listening...

Friday night that it was, a young twenty-something girl sat directly opposite the married man (next to me) and wore an 'out there' outfit shall we say? Personally, I thought she was very stylish, but legs all out and only covered by a modest pair of thin tights covered in bow patterns, made her the centre of attention.

A few people stared (myself included) but then went about our business. The married man on the other hand throughout my ten minute journey could not take his eyes off of her. I remained quite appalled at the obvious perversion/adultery in sordid thoughts happening right before my eyes and under his wife's nose (and incessant talking). She noticed a few times (who didn't?) but chose to ignore his leering. To be fair; what else could the poor woman do?

He still listened to her tale and laughed politely and commented in the appropriate places which seemed to please her but his eyes were glued to this girl's pins. Fifty-something and still has a wondering eye despite his marriage and possible kids. I'm sure theirs is not a perfect marriage but this was shocking.

I came to two conclusions: 1) men, no matter what age will always remain perverted and well men. 2) perhaps theirs is a successful marriage as they manage to compromise? She is able to gossip whilst he can have a wondering eye. Two annoying (and sexist I'll admit) habits, innately built in our gender's DNA and if either sex moan about it- arguments and possibly break-ups will be caused, so for it to work just keep quiet? She rattles on about unimportant things and he responds appropriately whilst he is a pervert and she 'ignores' and remains oblivious to it.

I cannot stop gossiping but I do not want my man to have a wondering eye (double standards?) I need to perhaps master the art of compromise or just remain single forever. I can't decide which is more sad? At least when I'm a spinster, my cats won't have sordid thoughts whilst perverting, though they will sneak away to the neighbour's garden often.
I need to re-think this...

No comments:

Post a Comment